Know Your Rights

Tenants have rights and the power to fight back against their landlord if they’re facing a renoviction or an AGI, and tenants in Toronto have been successful in organizing to fight renovictions and AGIs (for example, see this article and this interview).


A renoviction is when a landlord evicts a tenant by claiming they will complete major renovations.

Landlords sometimes initiate a renoviction by giving tenants a notice to end their tenancy in the form of an N13. Often landlords will simply tell tenants they need to move out because of renovations.

If you get an N13, you do not need to leave. If your landlord tells you they need to renovate your unit, you do not need to move. Tenants do not need to move unless given an eviction order by the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB).

Your landlord needs a building permit from the City of Toronto if they want to do renovations that require you to vacate. You can see if a permit has been issued for your building by entering your address here. If your landlord hasn't at least applied for a permit or if the work listed in the permit doesn’t require you to vacate, the LTB won't approve your landlord's application to evict you.

You can find out more about renovictions and your rights below, but the most important things to know are:

  1. You don't have to move out unless you receive an eviction order from the LTB, and the LTB process can take time. A notice from your landlord is not an eviction order.
  2. Don’t sign anything (especially an N11) until you’ve contacted your local community legal clinic or spoken to a lawyer or paralegal.
  3. Talk to your neighbours and start organizing today.
  4. Although tenants have a right to return without any rent increase following renovations, landlords often violate this right and rent the unit to someone new at a much higher rent.

If you received an N13 or think your landlord is trying to renovict you, we recommend contacting your local community legal clinic, which you can find here.

Learn more about renovictions and your rights in our short guide.

For helpful tips on approaching your neighbours and organizing to stand up to your landlord, see this (although the tenants were facing an AGI there's helpful information for all tenants). Learn how to research your landlord and why you should here. And see this story for more info on fighting a renoviction.

Above Guideline Increases

In rent-controlled buildings, landlords are only able to raise the rent of existing tenants by a certain amount each year: the guideline increase set by the LTB. But landlords can apply for an above guideline increase (AGI) if they incur costs related to eligible capital expenditures, security, accessibility, or environmental conservation. As a part of landlord-friendly laws, AGIs allow landlords to raise rents dramatically and transfer the costs of certain repairs onto tenants.

If your landlord applies for an AGI you'll get an N1 notifying you of this at least 90 days before the proposed rent increase and the LTB will schedule a hearing for all the tenants in your building facing the AGI.

Tenants can fight an AGI and tenants in Toronto have been successful fighting AGI applications filed by their landlords. If you want to fight an AGI, it’s important that you talk to your fellow tenants and start organizing as soon as possible.

Our Guide to Fighting an AGI can help you better understand the legal process related to AGIs and how tenants can fight an AGI.

For examples of tenants organizing against AGIs, see here, here, and here. Learn about how to research your landlord here.

If you received an N1 notifying you of a rent increase that's more than the guideline, you can contact the Federation of Metro Tenants’ Associations for more information and for help organizing in your building. For legal assistance or advice, you can contact your local community legal clinic.

Note: We strive to provide information that’s accurate, but the above, as well as other information and guides on this site, does not constitute legal advice. For legal advice, speak with a paralegal or lawyer.